Sunday, September 13, 2009

First Cakes (Fondant Class)

So when I planned on taking a cake class, I signed up for the first one...the beginner course. After the first class, my friend and I decided we would go ahead and take another one while we were at it...fondant...might as well get them both under our belts why wait for the next one to be offered. The teacher was fine with us doing both even though we had already missed the first class. This was all Tuesday night...by Wed. we were planning on jumping in and taking the other class but still needed some questions answered. Naturally I had previously agreed to babysit Thurs. night and did not get home until after 11pm after working 10 hours. After working most of Friday (still working overtime), I finally made it home to bake the cake for Sat. morning class...Tues. night's cake would have to wait. Now we all know I have made plenty of cakes but for some reason this one was a challenge. It had to be at least 3 inches. Mine was 2 1/2 inches. I still had to go to the store to get ingredients for fondant and butter cream icings as well as other supplies, so I decided to just try again with the cake. By the time I bought everything and got a quick bite to eat it was almost 8...class was at 9 the next morning. I made the second cake which was also 2 1/2 inches and attempted to make the marshmallow fondant...would have been good to read the directions correctly. After 3 failed attempts I called it quits! I had no more marshmallows anyway. I moved on to butter cream which was a success and iced my cake! I think I went to bed around 2am and re-read the directions to find my error in the fondant process. I got up extra early to finish gathering everything and even thought about trying again with the fondant...decided I would buy pre-made fondant if mine was really bad...well, it was bad so store bought fondant was purchased in the middle of class. We all made the same cake to learn certain techniques and here is the finale product!


So what did I do with the first 2 1/2 inch cake?! Decided to make the fondant successfully and then get a little creative making something different from our class cake! The fondant was much better, but I could still use some practice...I think it was too soft/sticky! It also tastes a lot better, too!



Tuesday's class is just butter cream, so that should not be as bad. The cake is made and in the freezer. Just have to decide on a design (owl or elephant...not sure yet!) and make the icing!

5 comments:

Marksberry Family said...

that is awesome! wish you were closer so you could do the boys' birthday cakes when it comes time!

Elizabeth said...

Oh My Gosh... These are AWESOME! Great job! Can I call you in the future for cake making??

Lindsey Grace said...

so cute!! great job! that's so much fun---where are you taking the classes?

Sara said...

Thanks girls! I am taking classes at HL but I am sure other craft stores offer the same ones. The cost of the class is not bad but the supplies...a bit much. I would def. recommend taking at least the beginner course and def. do not take two at the same time. You all would do great...it really isn't too hard!

M&B said...

I'm impressed!!