Friday, June 27, 2008

Goodbye Jimmy!

Thursday I drove my 1997 Jimmy for the last time. I still remember the day my parents surprised me with my first car...8 years ago. I was at volleyball practice and was waiting for my parents to come get me. We just happened to get finished early, and they did not have the cell phone with them(yes, this was before cell phones were a must have when out of the house). I called several times to see where they were. Then I see this white Jimmy pulling up with my parents in it. I thought they were test driving for my mom or something, but then they said it was for me! I was really excited, but I also remember that I thought they might be joking...who knows why? haha! While the Jimmy spent a few nights in the shop over the last 8 years, overall it was a great first car. I have so many great memories and not so great memories...like when it died in Nashville, and I had no idea where anything was or who to call or how to get it to a shop to be fixed and ended up at a Catholic school in tears because I was late to fieldwork and would have to make up the time. I am sure the sweet nuns thought I was crazy! haha! It was totally a God thing that I ended up at the school because the secretary's husband worked at a shop down the road. Another time the accelerator cable broke in West Memphis...one lane...construction zone...was almost hit by several semi-trucks blaring their horns at me. I just barely made it to Union before classes were to start that semester as we waited in Marion for the part to arrive. Some good memories include traveling home to Arkansas with friends from Union freshman year and traveling with friends to the beach that year as well. When I think about my first car, I think about people who have been with me and where we have gone...even the kiddos I kept in the summers!
So, Thursday night the Jimmy was traded in, and I bought my first car! What did I get? You will have to wait and see! :)

Post coming soon all about my first car buying experience! I know my 2 readers can hardly wait for the next post...haha!

After volleyball practice with my first car!

2 comments:

Laura Jo said...

Good thing one of your readers already knows what you purchased! And I love it! Isn't it bitter sweet to trade your very first car? I still wish I had mine to putt around town in!

Sara said...

I know! I really did enjoy my first car. After visiting Honda Tuesday night, I wanted to just keep the Jimmy instead of giving them any of my money!